By at 8:28 PM Friday, January 7th 2011

Trent Reznor Opens The Floodgates

Nine Inch Nails, Music

Well, that was fast. Just a few days ago, we told you about the records we’re anticipating the most in 2011, and wondered which projects Trent Reznor would be releasing this year. That question was answered, among several others, in a candid interview for New York Times’ TimesTalks on Friday evening that was broadcast on Livestream for fans.

Early in the interview, Trent told the mandatory backstory on how he and his musical partner Atticus Ross got together with director David Fincher to score the film The Social Network and how rewarding the experience was, citing that it was a “natural step forward” in his career, creating a musical atmosphere that has nothing to do with himself. After that, he took the opportunity to announce that he is, in fact, scoring David Fincher’s next film, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, set for release this December. For this soundtrack, Reznor explained, he took a different approach, focusing mostly on performances and an organic feel – more specifically, “nothing would be programmed” and we’ll get to hear “his limited skills at stringed instruments.” We can definitely expect to see this record in 2011.

As for the deluxe edition of The Fragile, a project that was mentioned over a year ago and has been left somewhat in the dark, Mr. Reznor finally revealed the plan behind it: Alan Moulder, who originally produced the record, is in charge of restoring the original multitracks of the album for a surround mix rerelease of it, sometime this year. Trent expanded on how The Fragile has aged in a somewhat unusual manner, since, at the time of its release, “it felt like no one liked the album,” but now “it feels like it’s everyone’s favorite.” He also said that he feels that it could’ve been better received if it were released as two separate records (citing Radiohead’s move for Kid A / Amnesiac), and even considered rerecording bits of songs for the rerelease, but ultimately decided against it.

The NIN frontman also had the chance to discuss How To Destroy Angels, his group with Mariqueen Maandig (his wife) and Atticus Ross. Trent confirmed that their full-length album is on its way, much more “beat and rhythm-oriented” than TSN’s score, and that it will sound very different from the EP they released last year. About that first release of the group, he added that he’s “proud of it, but it feels like the first things we’ve done,” and that it was merely “the results of a couple of months of experimentation and tinkering.” From the sounds of it, the LP will be much more fleshed out.

The end of Nine Inch Nails as a live act was discussed as well. First, Trent joked that before the band’s Wave Goodbye tour, he got a call from Gene Simmons advising him to “just say it’s your last tour, that always keeps the fans coming,” in addition to having “played Head Like A Hole enough times.” But on a more serious note, he said: “Will I tour again? Certainly. Will Nine Inch Nails play shows again? I’m not saying it’s out of the question…” though he was quick to point out “there is no tour booked.”

When the mic was passed on to the crowd, a few obscure questions from the black-clad fanatics were expected, but we’re kind of glad they came up. For one, Trent was asked about the songs he recorded with Zack De La Rocha after Rage Against The Machine’s initial demise. Trent sighed, looked at the camera and said “Zack, are you watching?”, later explaining that the material the duo worked on “was in the middle of ‘I can’t do this, it sounds too much like Rage / I can’t do that, it doesn’t sound enough like what they expect me to do,'” furthermore adding that there are a few good tracks lying around, but they’ll likely never see the light of day.

Trent mentioned, among other responses, that NIN “still owe Interscope a greatest hits bullshit of some sort,” that he’s plowing through footage of the band’s final tour for a release and that he initially saw Twitter as a great way to get feedback from his fans, but that a few “clearly unstable” people ruined the fun. Finally, the last person to come to the microphone made the two “obligatory” questions that somehow manage to pop into almost every fan Q&A with Mr. Reznor: firstly, if he would ever work with Marilyn Manson again, to which he hastily responded “yes, I’m open to whatever;” and secondly, whether or not the Tapeworm project (a collaboration between him, Maynard James Keenan & others) would ever come out, to which he gave the same, usual answer: “No.” In Trent’s opinion, Tapeworm never sounded quite good enough, as he was “spinning my own wheels at the time,” and whatever was usable from those sessions ended up taken by Maynard’s project A Perfect Circle.

Trent then returned to the Manson question, stating that his former protege “is a talented person” and that “we’ve had our problems, but I’m an adult now… I wear suits,” with a priceless smirk on his face.

1. cba says:

I hate this son of a bitch and don’t know why you report on this dipshit.

2. Tania says:

that was really fast, thank you guys! can’t wait for new TR releases.

3. The person at the end of the interview needs a smack but with that said what an incredible revelation especially about the process between Trent and Atticus and how they get things done whilst bouncing ideas back and forth as well as the announcement about “The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo” score.

A clear genius and anyone who fails to recognize that just isn’t worth the amount of words that would rectify how pathetic they are.

4. ZombieStardust says:

I don’t think I could have a better article to wake up to than this. Touring again? Fragile re-release? A new How To Destroy Angels release? Another film score? I would honestly due happy if all of those things were done. :D

5. Al says:

Reznor is overrated. Always will be.

6. Alex says:

compared to whom?

7. Slap_mo says:

I’m not sure how it is that somebody can even be over-rated as a musician. If someone is well-received for their creations, then they have managed to connect with people, and connect people in general, through their expression.

This is not an ability that can be quantified, but rather is dependant upon many social and cultural factors that are in constant evolution. And quite frankly, Reznor is one of my favs NOT because of his compositional abilities or conceptual radicalism, but because he creates digestable, beautiful songs that are as aformulaic as a ‘song’ could really be, and they speak to me as a human, not as a musician.

Face it, some people are just lucky to be heard when they are heard, and have nothing but chance and the will to create to thank for their success. Which is a shit-ton cooler and more respectable than people who have millions of dollars to pay for producers, song-writers, engineers and choreographers to construct a likable image/sound to replace their lack of creative drive and self-assurance.

8. Rory Biller says:

This was a brilliant interview. I watched the latter half of it. Very much somebody managed to record it so I can download it and watch the beginning.

I quite enjoyed the Q&A.

9. Rory Biller says:

Has anybody found a link for a download or stream of this since it aired?

10. Gabriel says:

Whole Interview (link just to part 1, 6 parts total)

11. asdasd says:

Nine Inch Nails Have Been All Downhill Since Downward Spiral

12. Elijah's Rain says:

Trent is becoming the new Brian Eno. What a great article!

13. zoopster says:

The Fragile is my favorite album. Always has been, too. Interested to see what they are gonna do to it as far as remixing, etc. Having missed the WaveGoodbye and NIN/JA tours, I am seriously hoping for a return to touring for NIN, but honestly, I’d go see this guy if it was just him, and acoustic, and a drum machine…… come to think of it, that would be pretty killer. Thanks for the news as always.

14. MusicFiend says:

I’ve been a NIN fan since I was young teen (28 now) and I still really enjoy several tracks off each release none of it hits me quite as hard since the Fragile and Downward. I don’t know, I still enjoy it but comparatively it’s not what it used to be.

15. hadenough says:

I used to think it was Mariqueen I couldn’t stand. But now I realize it is Trent himself. She is a poor puppet of his and he cannot collaborate with a talented female singer b/c his ego wouldn’t allow work with another talented artist. Ever listen to the soundtrack to Book of Eli? That was Atticus and he is brilliant. Trent is no different than his playboy mommy wife (who tweets about shitting and offering her goods to other men, giving blowjobs, her orgasms, etc.) I finally had to delete my account b/c of these two middle schoolers. I have been a devoted NIN fan since 1994 and while I respect the past I say farewell to the future. HTDA is an embarrassment/vanity project for wifey. The more I realize that Trent is no different than Mariqueen in that they both are phonies and typical Hollywood starf*ckers.

16. Truth Hurts says:

I’m down with: Pretty Hate, Broken, Downward, Fragile (and the song afraid of americans with bowie was an awesome track). Everything else is BORING

17. Curt says:

@hadenough Yeah, her and Trent are out there whoreing themselves out with stuff like new perfume fragrances, reality tv shows, televised weddings, sex tapes, voice overs for everything from insurance commercials to campbells soup commercials, and let’s not forget teaming up with Justin Biber for a Best Buy commercial, TRUE Hollywood starfuckers is SO right ;)
    How anyone can take what people say on shit like twitter seriously makes me feel so sad. If your really disgusted with what sounds like her joking on twitter then you should go check out Kevin Smiths twitter account. When he talks about rubbing one off in the bathroom or smacking his dick on his wife’s asshole, he’s ACTUALLY being serious, lol.

18. […] deluxe edition of The Fragile – whether featuring Dre in some capacity or not -, while also taking pretty long, might as well be out before Detox. […]

19. […] expect their second offering to be much more fleshed out – especially after Reznor stated that HTDA’s self-titled debut sounded a bit too much like their first experiment. Positive […]

20. […] Antiquiet ha transcrito parte de la entrevista que le realizaron al inquieto Trent Reznor en un evento que […]

21. […] the Nine Inch Nails brand with a label that he strongly criticized in the past. Last year, he mentioned that NIN “still owe Interscope a greatest hits bullshit of some […]

22. C says:

Where are these tweets exactly cause I don’t see them.