By at 8:48 AM Tuesday, January 29th 2013

‘New’ Pre-Pearl Jam Eddie Vedder Demos Discovered

Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam, Exclusive, Music

From 1988 to 1989, future Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder recorded a few four-song demo tapes that are fairly well-known among the hardcore fans. The earliest tapes were solo recordings, and the latter ones came out of recording sessions with his pre-PJ San Diego band Bad Radio. These recordings have made their way online over the years, as some of the old cheap tapes that Vedder would buy in bulk made it into the hands of collectors with the tools to digitize them.

eddie-grassIn addition to a group of originals (which included a very early version of Betterman), the tapes in circulation also included a somber cover of Bruce Springsteen’s One Step Up, an early indicator of Vedder’s fondness for The Boss.

It’s been a long time since anything “new” has surfaced, but Antiquiet recently came into possession of a direct copy of a tape that Eddie dubbed for a co-worker at his old job at San Diego Petroleum, somewhere in range of late 1989 or early 1990. On it we found thirteen tracks, including a couple entirely “new” recordings (to the PJ fanbase at least), a few familiar ones, and most substantially, far more listenable dubs of both 1989 Bad Radio demos.

In addition to cleaner-sounding recordings than anything we’ve heard before, other gems on the tape worth mentioning are a falsetto-laden karaoke-machine cover of Something Inside So Strong, a track made famous by Kenny Rogers, as well as a brief, lighthearted cover of Sam Cooke’s Wonderful World. Fans seeing I’m Alive on the tracklist shouldn’t confuse the boisterous and rather comical track with Pearl Jam’s signature single Alive, as this particular song takes issue with rap music and profound lyrical expectations rather than an Oedipal tale of a fatherless child.

Know what’s cooler than streaming? Having the songs for yourself. Download the Vedder demos.
Antiquiet loves you.

UPDATE: Lawyers, not so much. We’ve removed these tracks at the kind request of Vedder & PJ’s representatives.

1. This Guy says:

You guys should check out gremmie.net. There’s obviously more you haven’t heard if this is news to you.

we know gremmie.net. some of these aren’t there, and the ones that are are better sources. either way, happy to add to their archive.

3. zobi says:

thanks AQ!
    Always nice to see new germs popping up, any chance of finding a lossless copy of this somewhere else?

4. Josh says:

How does one “log in” in order to rate comments? I wanted to give This Guy a thumbs up of approval but am not able to because I’m not “logged in”.

This hardly counts as news and it certainly isn’t new for most “hardcore” PJ fans. News would be info on the new album that is more significant than one of the band members just saying “we’re about halfway done”. I could get excited about some real news like that. This, not so much.

5. Axel says:

Good thing this isn’t what Stone and Jeff first heard out of Eddie or he probably wouldn’t have gotten the job

6. Halv says:

Awesome!!! Thanks guys.

anyone who is pissed at us because this isn’t as cool as whatever they imagined is an asshole.

• This Guy says:

And maybe you should take a step back and read my first sentence again.

• Josh says:

Who is pissed at you? I’m certainly not. My point is that something that is 25 years old doesn’t exactly qualify as new or news. Add that to whatever anticipation there was after the tweet Antiquiet released regarding this last night, and it is just a pretty lame let down.

8. What a bunch of shitasses, bitching about this.

9. Carl S says:

can you please post a link to lossles copies of tracks 1-5? tracks 3-5 are new to circulation. 6-9 is ‘what the funk’ demo. 10-13 is ‘tower records’ demo. great post, thank you!

10. Tyler says:

The quality of I’m Alive on here is far superior to anything I’ve heard before. Great find!

11. Nerdypjfangirl says:

Thanks Jeff & Antiquiet for the goods! Always love hearing “new” old stuff. Makes waiting for the new stuff bearable. :)

12. John B. says:

Thanks for the article. Kudos. Glad to have heard a couple new, oldies.

Please excuse the unappreciative c*ck-nobbers commenting on here. They must be clones of the people who, too often, have a seat behind me @ PJ/ EV shows. The whole time, trying to one-up each other with their extreme encyclopedic knowledge of the bands history, in lieu of soaking in the live show. Please give yourself a pat on the back, ’cause no one cares but you!

13. Dave says:

Thank you for these…if EV was singing bah bah blacksheep and it was recorded, I would want it as a ‘completist”. This is much appreciated!

14. LE PUPE says:

SHARING IS CARING INDEED…. I <3 U BACK AQ!!!

This Guy & Josh, fuck you both.
    Thank you very much.

15. joost says:

Thanks for this! Although the song are horrible..it’s fun to hear in his ‘infant’ stages ;)… but LOSLESS would be really great!!

16. Adrian Garro says:

Why all the drama? This was a nice find, even if *some* of the songs already exist on other sites dedicated to PJ fandom.

17. Jessica says:

YOU ARE GOD! THANK YOU!!!!!

18. Jeremy says:

Although a lot of this is circulated… it’s nice to have better versions of this stuff. LOSSLESS would be much appreciated! As well as a high res scan of the cassette insert. Thanks for posting this!

eh, lossless doesn’t sound any different.
    also, the cassette insert is irrelevant. it was a copy of the original tape, hand-written by one of the co-workers.

20. Dave S says:

Wow, some elitist Pearl Jam fans here. Now there is a fucking surprise. If the songs are old news to you – keep your mouth shut. Let those the songs are new to enjoy without snide bullshit comments.

21. lynn says:

To all those bitching about lossless copies, well, uh, my comment might not be allowed. thank u whoever u are for these. The first 2are much better than anything i;ve heard. [Yeh, I have prolly 5 copies of them. ] Early Ed is just the best.

22. joost says:

These sounds so much better than the versions I used to have. Thanks for that!! FLAC ??

23. Steve Keyes says:

You give people MUCH higher quality versions (and a couple ENTIRELY NEW SONGS) of something that they claim to love and they give you shit? Why are people such entitled fucks? I say next time keep it to yourself and enjoy it.

24. Anne Francisquini says:

Already existed on youtube. Bad Radio’s demos and videos.

25. Anne Francisquini says:

exist*

26. EMMANOUEL says:

You are amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Aline Cury says:

Chris’ Message… Is this Chris Cornell???

28. Marcio Leal says:

Muito bom o conteudo na pagina.

29. Deseo Carmin says:

hey thanks for the free download. loving your page as well :)

30. WHARFRAT says:

Eddie shows that true talent comes forward and stays,giving fans and future fans a real treat with the music he writes and sings on his own and with Pearl Jam,this “everyones” music,there is so much diversity in Vedders music that everyone can listen and enjoy.

31. Glen Vomacka says:

Thank you so much for posting this! We’re truly privileged to be given such historical documents of Eddie Vedder’s early work. I am quite grateful you have decided to share this.

For the sake of history, I truly believe that lossless versions (flac) would be a HUGE boon to the fan community. I’m not speaking selfishly here. I KNOW there is large desire for it. Perhaps it would be problematic to host the files yourselves if size and bandwidth is a concern, and I DO emphasize. I honestly feel something THIS monumental deserves to be shared in high fidelity. With the advent of options like yousendit, wetransfer, etc, I think that “seeding” this to a small number of your trusted friends who could then further share this material could be a solid option. Let’s get the lossless it out there for everyone!

Again, THANK YOU, for sharing what you’ve uncovered!

high fidelity? do you know anything about sound?
    i did the transfer here, and i’m a pretty big audiophile. i play my music through more than $10,000 worth of hardware.
    this was a 20+ year old cassette tape. and it was transferred to 16/44.
    you’re not going to take that and make it high fidelity just by making it a flac.
    these 320kbps will play on anything, and they sound exactly like flacs would. get over it, guys.

• Ivy says:

Is there any way anyone could send me this tracks or help me get them? I found this page a little late and I can’t download anything, the documents seem to have been taken down. I really need it. My brother is a die hard fan and he has been dreaming of listening to this demos for a long time, he recently got very sick with a serious condition. Please help me find this for him.

33. Joe says:

fuck EVERYBODY EXCEPT COMMENTERS on web pages!!! yes, the pesky content gives us things to bitch about, but they also take up much needed space for my pointless rants.

haha my wife 2 seconds ago “What is this? Is this Eddie Vedder? This is terrible!” haha, don’t worry guys, i already told her to go fuck herself.

34. Alicia says:

These are great! Thanks for sharing!

35. Jeff says:

Why can’t I download this? I get a weird error when I click on the link….

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

“We’ve removed these tracks at the kind request of Vedder & PJ’s representatives.”

• Ivy says:

Is there any way you or anyone can send me this tracks. I’m really desperate. I’ve been looking for a very long time and.

37. ben says:

Hello. I surely would like to have the early pearl jam songs (including the few new ones from back then) in the best quality possible. Could you help? :)