By at 11:13 AM Thursday, January 31st 2013

Puscifer Covers Bohemian Rhapsody (And Maynard Is No Freddie)

Puscifer, Music

Back in November, the Maynard James Keenan-fronted Puscifer announced a brand new EP titled Donkey Punch The Night, featuring a couple of new songs, remixes, covers, and remixes of the covers. The two covers on the EP were described by Maynard as “an itch that needed scratching, and that itch was [Accept's] Balls To The Wall” and “an even harder to reach itch known as [Queen's] Bohemian Rhapsody.” The latter, Queen’s epic magnum opus, has predictably been posted online.

puscifertimcadiente3

An arguably hard one to tackle by any band, a straight cover of Bohemian Rhapsody wouldn’t offer anything new or remarkable, and alterations to it would most likely detract from what’s already perfect. As it turns out, Puscifer went with a straight version, and the result is less than impressive. Maynard’s voice simply isn’t to the task, and it’s only made worse by the fact that the rest of the band is so accurately mimicking the song. Listen to Puscifer’s Bohemian Rhapsody below:

The Donkey Punch the Night EP can be ordered here. Puscifer have announced their first tour dates outside of North America with the band performing three shows in Australia as well as performances at Lollapalooza Brazil and Lollapalooza Chile:

February 22     Brisbane, Australia     The Tivoli
February 26     Sydney, Australia     Enmore Theatre
February 28     Melbourne, Australia     The Palais Theatre
March 31     Sao Paulo, Brazil     Lollapalooza Brazil
April 6 & 7     Santiago, Chile     Lollapalooza Chile

1. Coz Baldwin says:

Hrmgh. This is tough. Maynard & Freddie are, in my opinion, the absolute 2 best male singers rock music has ever known. And while they are apples and oranges, I believe Maynard could do this. But this recording does not prove it. I’m trying to take into account I’m listening through a friggen YouTube player, but the production is lacking and his voice has almost no gut to it — and Maynard’s got a lot of gut to give when he wants to. So it’s weird that such a bad itch was not more thoroughly tended to. Like, I feel as though there was something fundamentally wrong with this recording and not a big enough fuck was given to correct it.

As a fan, it’s disappointing, but only because of the potential of hearing one fave singer sing the other fave singer’s song. But, as long as he’s satisfied with the itch, then I’m happy for him. Doesn’t change my opinion of anything.

• Dave Foreman says:

I’ve yet to hear the song, but I remember when Him and Billy did it for that activision conference thing. I think if Maynard had done this in his prime, or closer to it, it might have fit. That being said, Maynards best years vocally are behind him. We’ve heard about how APC stuff is almost too much for him now, and practically all tool is sung out of that damned distorted megaphone these days. Age and who knows what else is definitely playing hell with Maynard’s vocal abilities. While I love puscifer, it feels to me like he’s focusing in on it because it doesn’t push him as much. He’s done the pushing, and succeeded, now I think he wants to be musically comfortable and a little more lax about it, which is going to come off as disappointing to everyone who’s clamoring for APC and Tool type endeavors.

2. Reverend Justito says:

Yeah this fucking blows.

3. clint says:

I think it would have been awesome if he would have really puts some balls into it.

4. Eric says:

Song, or should I say Maynard’s vocal phoning it in, blows donkey balls.
    Maybe Puscifer should cover TOOL……..

5. Rasmus says:

Maynard should Cut the crap (Wine and shitty side bands) and return to Tool full time. Not that puscifer and APC are bad, but tool is in a totally different league

6. LE PUPE says:

IT SO SUCKED THAT IT HAS BEEN REMOVED…

7. James says:

Just because an itch needs scratching doesn’t mean it has to be shared with the world.

8. mike says: