By at 8:42 PM Monday, February 24th 2014

I Don’t Even Know Why I’m Not Going to Get Any Shit For Posting This New Haim Video

Haim, Music

Haim’s new video, I admit, is pretty awesome. Fatima Robinson choreography is a heat-seeking missile headed straight for the heart of anyone who grew up with 90s R&B & Hip Hop. These girls have got mad style, no doubt. And Warren Fu is the man.

With that said, listening to the music, and looking at how Haim is talked about, I’m at a loss. Ignore the fact that it’s three hipster chicks, and what comes out of the speakers is as close to 90s mom jeans pop dreck like Amy Grant and Sixpence None The Richer, as it is to the electro-grunge-twee-pop from Charli XCX or Icona Pop or whatever. Posting any of that shit would invite the same kind of outrage we get whenever we so much as mention Miley, but Haim gets a pass, and that’s got me on the brink of some kind of #thinkpiece. It’s not like I’m having an existential crisis over it or anything, but it is helping me understand the extent to which the indie badge has become complete bullshit.

I don’t mean to pick on Haim. The piss and vinegar isn’t directed at them. I might even pick up this album sometime. I’m more frustrated at the arbitrary lines drawn in the sand between different flavors of bubblegum. At Antiquiet, we very much pride ourselves in cutting through the shit and telling it like it is, and we are as defined by what we refuse to cover, as what we choose to shine a spotlight on. But every once in awhile, there’s a day like this, where I catch myself calling bullshit on Sky Ferreira and her assembly line faux-edginess, and then I get a new Haim video and realize that it’s the same exact shit, except some hipster rabbi somewhere waved a magic indie dildo over it and called it kosher.

Well, I tied a long tail on that fuckin’ kite, didn’t I? Anyway, I’m going to keep letting our writers write about whatever they want to write about, and some of you are going to keep bitching about some of it while letting stuff like Haim slide. We’re just calling it like we see it, for better or worse.

1. chops says:

Woah there, crazy. Let’s take it down a notch.

2. Reverend Justito says:

Amen

3. Matt says:

This video didn’t do it for me. It feels like an over-used trope. And the song? It passed through me, leaving me with one line that stuck at all, which was repeated a thousand times “If I could change your mind”, which is a line that could have come from any song by any artist. What’s an original and catchy song by these girls? Inquiring minds would like to know.

4. Matt says:

Also, just reminded myself. Sounds like they’re riding that Tegan & Sara wave of “indie cred and now we’re big studio sounding dance pop”. Not that there’s anything wrong with it, but as a music fan (as we all are) of varied tastes it always bums me out that if one person does something unique, EVERYONE remotely similar has to go in that same direction.

5. Fred Bob says:

You’re the hipster douche for comparing this the sixpence none the richer, obviously you’re over doing it with your pea brain… here’s how you listen, okay? first put out of your mind how other people with judge you for the music you listen to? Even me. got that? Now just let the music come to your ears, and see if it moves you. Maybe physically, maybe just some unnamed feeling inside you. Next step is important , stop trying to frame it, or protect yourself from what its doing to you. Dont run to your computer and feel that you need to share everything, especially things like ‘I dont know why I love this but I do know I shouldn’t’… Its why you cant understand, the Haim album is just enjoyable, you dont understand because its not a genre you can put it under

• Skwerl says:

you’re projecting a lot, there. maybe you’re new here, but i/we never post based on how others are going to react. we only post thoughts that we are moved to share. sometimes it’s about the music being good. or bad. sometimes it’s about other aspects connected to the music, more than the music. i’m not trying to protect myself from anything, and i’m not confused as to how i feel about it, or should feel about it. the song is mediocre, and i dig the video. period. but yes, i can most certainly put it under a genre, and i just realize it’s a different genre than most of my peers are putting it under. and that disconnect inspired me to write this piece. but i welcome all discussion, including accusations that begin with calling me a hipster douche. no sarcasm there.

• Fred Bob says:

To sum up my point, Haim’s sound has more in common with the likes of TV on the Radio than the bands you mentioned above and its poor character/journalism to report on something you might like (and probably do that you are reporting on it at all) but have to distance yourself from it because you dont have much confidence in your readership or your own hipster creed…..

• Skwerl says:

eh, again, a projection. i’m not trying to distance myself. i do acknowledge that i don’t have much confidence in readers to universally get what i’m saying, or confidence that they’re going to cheer this on. but i don’t really care, either. i’m expressing how i feel honestly here, and i’m trying to express some complex, albeit impulsive analysis and thinking that haim have inspired. but i’ve never had a fuckin’ lick of hipster cred, and wouldn’t know where to find it if i wanted it.
          i don’t disagree that tv on the radio is almost a pop band. the whole point of my rant here is that we draw weird lines in the sand between cool pop like tv on the radio and haim, and uncool pop like miley cyrus and sky ferreira. and it feels like bullshit to me.
          but the argument we’re having is a healthy one in my book.

6. chops says:

In all seriousness though, song is fine. Maybe a little overproduced, but it’s good stuff. Not sure where the comparisons to Sixpense None The Richer are coming from though. Also what is the “point” to this diatribe? That people should or shouldn’t like certain artists based on your criteria? People enjoy what they enjoy for a pretty wide variety of reasons. Seems a little overreaching to assume that people who enjoy HAIM are even privy to the likes of Amy Grant or Icona Pop (who?). But yeah, just my two cents on the matter.

7. Alex says:

I tend to agree with Skwerl’s sentiment regarding the “assembly line faux-edginess” of Sky Ferreira and other performers of her ilk (Lorde, Lana Del Rey, etc.). They appear, seemingly out of nowhere, and enjoy instant success along with this totally manufactured indie credibility. They’re not nearly as insufferable as the Katy Perrys of the world but are likely just as prefabricated by teams of publicists and producers (and over-bearing stage-parents). I suspect Haim are guilty of this, too, but to a much lesser degree. I can’t side with Skwerl completely because, frankly, I’m a big fan of their music and will argue that their inspiration comes from a far more authentic place than that of their peers. “Days Are Gone” is a really solid, well written, well arranged record. The production isn’t terribly sterile or over-the-top. It’s warm and just a little gritty. It bears a lot of similarity, albeit in a slightly more conventional manner, to Chairlift’s fantastic LP, “Something.” I personally don’t quite understand all of the 90s Pop/R&B comparisons (though, as you noted, the choreography in this video certainly invites them). I hear 70s AM, 80s New Wave – maybe a hint of early 90s Freestyle – and a healthy dose of “Hounds of Love” era Kate Bush. As for even mentioning Haim in the same breath as Amy Grant and Sixpence None the Richer, well… that’s just plain insulting (and an ironic coincidence considering both are Christian Contemporary acts that experienced brief cross-over success, yet the sisters Haim are Jewish). I realize it’s a nearly impossible task but I strongly urge everyone to try as hard as they can to forget everything they know about this band and just listen to the music. I think most will be – as I was – pleasantly surprised.

8. Adrian says:

Well, they write their own songs, that’s gotta count for something.

It doesn’t make them indie though, just makes them real musicians, despite that their success is still undeniably manufactured by a label.