Another Monday, another wild-eyed clusterfuck of American outrage underway – and no, I don’t mean the unbelievable choke-slam Atlanta suffered last night.
The spray tan nazi marionette is now calling any negative polls of his performance and administration fake news. “I call my own shots,” he tweeted this morning, openly declaring war on reality. Never mind that Gallup announced that his approval rating is at a record low for a president just two weeks into office.
Anyway, Antiquiet Podcast #4 is now live, wherein we discuss/debate great albums with terrible production. Also covered: Kurt Cobain’s hypothetical Yoko Ono romance beyond the grave, the evolving genius of David Bottrill, Alain Johannes, Nigel Godrich and more.
On with today’s headlines…
- Lady Gaga just followed the Simpsons 2012 plan for her Super Bowl performance.
- Gaga didn’t lip-sync, and respect for that. Her Super Bowl Halftime Show non-hit montage was quite a spectacle – but the best of all time? Just stop it with that silliness. Also, the roof-jump was taped a few days prior.
- Run The Jewels tore the shit out of their NPR Tiny Desk Concert.
- Was that truly the last Black Sabbath show, forever? We’ll see. Here’s footage from their final performance.
- Footage of the Dio hologram performing at the Pollstar Awards is now available. It looks like they rolled an old 1980’s TV out onstage for NAMM celebrities to jack off next to.
- Clutch is intent on getting faster on their next album, and that’s fantastic news.
- Check out the new Sam Patch song Listening, from Yeah You, and I which hits on the 17th. Thanks for the heads up, Nasty Little Man.
- Deftones + Rise Against are going out on tour this summer, with Thrice as well.
- Trent Reznor profiled as a film composer in the NY Times.
- The Falcons choked enormously last night, but they took the field to Let’s Go by Trick Daddy, which samples Crazy Train – a subtle trolling, given that that’s the song the Patriots usually come out to.
- Genesis is getting back together for a reunion tour. Hell yes. Peter Gabriel’s not on board, however.
- There’s a petition to stop Suicide Silence from releasing their next record, and that’s straight-up hilarious. Best comment so far: “Eddie fucked up the band. Clean vox in SS?! What’s the next, Madonna guest vocals on the new Cannibal Corpse album? This is how bands die.”
- Watch Stephen Colbert cover Talking Heads’ Once in a Lifetime at a fundraiser for the Montclair Film Festival.
- RIP David Axelrod, producer and composer extraordinaire.
- RIP Marc Spitz, revered music journalist.
- Moogfest defies Trump’s Muslim ban with a “Protest Stage”.
- The Stranger Things second season promo is fucking awesome and hell yes we’re on board. Still no Barb return, however.
- If you’re into that, you might be down for all the movie + TV trailers that aired during the Super Bowl.
- If you’re near L.A., the Star Wars Virtual Reality Experience is ready for you to fight Storm Troopers with your own VR lightsaber.
- Bob Marley would have been 72 years old today. Roll it thick today in his honor.