I publish these daily news roundups every morning, because music writing is a hot creamy shit on a Triscuit cracker these days. It bleaches the soul to sit through identical headlines across the entire spectrum of music news sites, who are now in week three of every publication under the sun breathlessly reporting that Bob Dylan may or may not accept a Nobel prize he’s been offered.
A legend, yes. Worth a spot on the Rushmore of music, yes. But name one song the guy has written in the last fifty fucking years, then tell me to pay attention to your daily hand-wringings.
Caught the new Antiquiet Podcast? This one covers the crash-and-burn interviews that make us cringe to remember, after I share my experience mingling with nazis at a Make America Great Again rally last weekend.
On with today’s roundup:
- GNR grossed over $5 million per show last year. But they’re back together for the MUSIC, guys.
- Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys is back with an endearing new jam, the first offering from his new solo record. Listen to Shine on Me, featuring Dire Straights frontman Mark Knopfler.
- Work by David Bowie, N.W.A. and others are being immortalized in the National Recording Registry.
- Guess the rock bands by their hairstyles.
- Lemmy was working on a solo album when he died, and it’s almost ready for release.
- Nigel Godrich has shared a page from his OK Computer production notebook, for True Love Waits from the pre-digital days of editing. It’s not exciting.
- The new Alt-J song In Cold Blood is a lot more upbeat than its predecessor. Listen up.
- Kasabian’s new video for You’re In Love With a Psycho stars Noel Fielding, who is perpetually troubling to look at.
- Traffic Jams is Spotify’s answer to Carpool Karaoke. Only this time, it’s a rapper and producer who have to write a new song in the car.
- Looks like retarded hippie girls are going to be offering free weed with their heads in the Coachella crowd. Stay tuned for HuffPo pieces on rape culture bros grabbing headband buds for their own misogynistic spliffs.
- Glastonbury has added a ton of acts to its lineup.
- Holy shit, it looks like they finally got It right on film. Check out a teaser trailer for the new Stephen King adaptation.
Keep up with new music on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify, updated damn near every day.
Inside scoop? Criticism? Tasteful nudes? Send ’em over.