Damn, Monday’s here already.
All caught up on the AQ Podcast? It’s now on iTunes and SoundCloud. This one sips the whiskey as we rant on the history of mixtapes, from radio-dub cassette obsessions to the symbiotic rise of CD burners and filesharing platforms like Napster and Morpheus, on through the Spotify playlist era. Also: terrifying Little Richard, sneaking into Maynard’s dressing room, pouring one out for Bill Paxton and more.
If new music is what you’re after, get what’s worth hearing on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify, updated damn near every day.
And now for today’s headlines…
- Alt-J is here to sigh with you once more. Check out new song 3ww.
- Gorillaz are returning with a “really fuckin’ special” album, and are putting on their own festival called Demon Dayz.
- Watch Iggy Pop + Metallica play the shit out of TV Eye in Mexico City.
- Liam Gallagher’s solo album title is… As You Were.
- The Shins’ James Mercer opens up about his struggles with anxiety and depression.
- The leaked Glastonbury lineup is not real.
- Here’s the music theory breakdown on why Lorde’s new single is astoundingly well-written.
- If you saw Logan this last weekend, you likely also saw the Deadpool sequel teaser.
- Jared Leto may be poppin’ wheelies on the Tron bike soon.
- The Hives singer Pelle Almqvist is getting restless with the band’s inability to agree on a direction for their next record, so he might make a solo album.
- Chance The Rapper wrote the foreword to his mentor’s book of poetry, and you can read it now.
- The ‘Experience Hendrix’ touring show featured Zakk Wylde, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang and more in Los Angeles.
- Banksy opened a hotel in what may be the least appealing location anywhere: the Israeli-Palestinian border.
- Foo Fighters, Avenged Sevenfold and others are on the new Rock Band VR game.
- Epic movie sets that were actually mini models.
- Eddie Vedder is headed to Europe for a tour this summer.
- Thelonius Monk has some detailed notes on how to properly play a gig.
- Lastly, don’t get distracted too heavily by frivolity. Here’s the real shit happening.