Pulled the trigger last night and made plans for SXSW – if you’ll be in Austin during the musical cyclone, come have a sip with us.
On with today’s stories…
- Nine Inch Nails has fucked up a great many people’s day with the “physical component” of their surprise new EP Not The Actual Events, which features artwork and lyric sheets completely covered in a soot-like substance that gets fucking everywhere upon opening the package. Thanks, Trent.
- Beck has a new album on the way, and thank Christ it’s full of “huge, dancefloor-ready” tracks rather than the sappy depressed-Scientologist shit he’s been peddling the last few years.
- Spofity Hi-Fi is a lossless, hi-def tier option rolling out in test phase now.
- The Grammys are coming back to New York.
- Recorded music revenues grew by $1.1 billion last year globally, so musicians better start making a bigger cut.
- PETA needs to be set the fuck on fire. Then pissed on until their animal-slaughtering hypocrite asses are smoldering, then re-ignited and pushed into a pit of burning puppies.
- Kendrick Lamar is fast-tracking his “urgent” new album about “how wayward things have gone”.
- Max Martin, the guy behind the biggest pop hits of the last two decades, gave his first interview in 16 years.
- Frank Zappa playing Interstellar Overdrive with Pink Floyd? Hell yes.
- You know their work from the covers of legendary records from Zeppelin, Floyd, AC/DC and more – now Hipgnosis is releasing their complete collection.
- Take a wild guess what Snoop‘s “Mount Kushmore Wellness Retreat Tour” with Cypress Hill is all about.
- Gimmicky festival lineup announcements are getting out of hand.
- The founder of KickassTorrents is being extradited to the U.S. to face copyright crime charges.
- Someone made a furnace that looks like Lemmy, sorta.
- Zomg a member of Tool was referenced onstage and the guy who mentioned him said something about a new Tool album “pretty soon” and oh christ how is this even news…
- There’s a Sleater-Kinney/R.E.M. supergroup of sorts, and their new song Any Kind of Crowd is now available.
- Take a dive into Loud Reed’s public archive, a career-spanning treasure trove of the late icon’s work.
- Apparently you should eat oranges in the shower to feel more complete as a human being.
Keep up with the new music worth hearing on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify, updated damn near every day.
Now for the daily ritual…