The last two days have been roundup-free thanks to a trip up to Seattle to catch U2’s The Joshua Tree tour unveiled in the U.S. Check out my photos + review of the incredible experience, which included an appearance by Eddie Vedder.
On with the stories of the day, yeah?
- The Foo Fighters offered up a new song at Acoustic-4-A-Cure, a charity event put on by Sammy Hagar in San Francisco. Listen to The Sky Is a Neighborhood, recorded at the Fillmore. It’s a weird little rocker, mostly cause it sounds like Dave Grohl is on steroids and speed.
- Pour one out for anyone who ever thought PWR BTTM was a good band. These planktons’ music has been scrubbed from iTunes, Apple Music, Tidal, Google Play and others following sexual assault allegations, just four days after the release of their new record. Oh yeah, they were dropped by their label too.
- Whoa, Ryan Adams is potentially quite a dick. He helped make a junkie out of Albert Hammond Jr., almost ending The Strokes. A fascinating read from all involved members – including Ryan.
- What a horrible fucking idea: Shazam has been “forgetting” songs lately, so that you’ll give money to alzheimer’s research. How bout we forget the entire app instead, after claiming the job of the marketing genius behind it.
- Metallica wants to be the first band to play in space. So does Muse. Let’s send ‘em both up there to fight over an oxygen tank.
- Dancing to prevent suicide? Hell yeah let’s dance.
- The worst lies ever told by power ballads. Fuck you, Richard Marx. You didn’t wait for shit.
- There has never been a better apology note than this. Customer service level billionz.
- Dude puts his album on Spotify for a goof, album explodes in popularity. I’m sure your doom-ska band will have the same luck.
- The “touching story of unity” and how the Beatles rallied around Ringo for his With a Little Help From My Friends recording.
- Someone did a “punk” cover of Michael Jackson singing Lisa Simpson’s birthday song. Because it’s the fucking internet, and guys in the middle of fucking Australia can only jerk off and kill stuff for so long. There are more people in California than all of Australia, for Christ’s sake. Oh yeah, and the cover is as punk as Avril Lavigne singing in a Green Day cover band. But still.
- The Eagles are returning, with Glenn Frey’s 22 year-old son filling in for his late father.
- Ticketmaster: fighting scalpers one “verified fan” at a time.
- Here’s a weird fan theory about the Back to The Future movies. They’re my favorite series of all time, so I’ll bite… for the day.
- Speaking of movies, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are getting back into the sweet spot with Slaughterhouse Rulez.
- Hackers are threatening to leak the new Pirates of the Caribbean flick if the studios don’t pay a ransom.
- The South Park season premiere is August 23.
Keep up with new music on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify.