Kicking off a new feature for 2017: a daily Music News Roundup. Here’s where I’ll put all the good shit worth knowing each day, without the stupid nonsense, popups, pre-rolls and culture vultures. Burn off the garbage, it’s a good practice to get into. Now without further ado…
- DJ Skarface took classic beats from DJ Shadow‘s discography and sliced them into a capellas from Run The Jewels‘ debut album. The result is Shadow The Jewels, and it is mighty fire.
- Tool is headlining Governor’s Ball this year, and good luck finding any other worthwhile rock bands on the 2017 lineup. Upside? Lots of Durst-looking white guys named Chad thug-mugging to Wu-Tang.
- The owner of Coachella might be an anti-gay, climate-denying shitty human being. But endless love to the Goldenvoice crew.
- President Obama is giving a musical mic-drop on Friday with Beyoncé, Jay Z, Stevie Wonder, Chance the Rapper, Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Eddie Vedder and a hell of a lot more. How’s that inauguration lineup working out, big T?
- By the way, the sell-out youth of America have offered up a Trump inauguration performer, and she’s filling that soul-sized hole with record contract offers.
- Phil Collins is getting electroshock therapy to prepare for his comeback. Whatever gets that Sussudio flowin!
- James Van Der Beek, aka fucking Dawson, is playing Diplo in a new Vice comedy series. Perfect.
- After Spotify backed out, Google is now in talks to purchase SoundCloud for $500 million.
- Terrence Mallick made a film about the Austin music scene, and it arrives in March. Footage may include Iggy Pop & Arcade Fire, as well as Ryan Gosling smoking blunts with Big Freedia.
- Star Trek, eat your heart out. A workable tractor beam from sound waves? Consider it done.
- Phil Anselmo is still trying to convince people he’s not a racist asshole. Here’s a counterpoint.
- An ISIS live album? Hell yes.
- The Singles Soundtrack is getting a huge reissue with 18 additional grungables.
- In more reissue news, Nirvana’s Incesticide is getting a 45rpm 2xLP vinyl treatment, and this is fantastic news.
Now that you’ve got a lock on the news of the day, hit that subscribe button on the Firecloud Fresh Blood playlist for the new shit you should be listening to. Updated regularly – if it doesn’t have replay value, it’s not here.