How are we a week into 2017 already? Whatever the case, we’ve made it this far without any major celebrity deaths or catastrophes – though David Spade might currently be dealing with a Final Destination scenario.
Anyway, on with today’s music news.
- Dave Chappelle and John Mayer covering Come as You Are? What the fuck?
- Turns out David Bowie didn’t know he was dying when he made Blackstar after all.
- The Sex Pistols are not up for a reunion to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Never Mind The Bullocks, because they hate each other.
- YouTube has lost it’s dominant position as the king of music streaming, thanks to a sharp uptick in subscription services.
- Tidal has launched ‘master-quality’ recordings on its streaming platform. Because the world went crazy for Neil Young’s wonky hi-def Toblerone player Pono.
- Motley Crue singer Vince Neil and Boy George don’t get along, but that doesn’t mean they’re not making music together. With MMA heavy hitter Chael Sonnen on acoustic guitar, shit is beyond weird.
- The upcoming documentary Underground Inc.: The Unsung Story of Alternative Rock will feature members of White Zombie, Clutch, Stone Sour + more.
- If you spent $160 on a pair of Apple wireless earbuds, you might be an asshole. But if they keep falling out of your ears, one guy has a pretty gross solution.
- To the amazement of safespacers everywhere, Coachella artists aren’t boycotting the fest after it’s revealed that AEG owner Philip Anschultz supports a number of anti-gay and climate change denial organizations.
- Metallica pretty much dominated all of metal last year.
- The Doors’ classic Riders on The Storm was inspired by a real serial killer.
- The U.S. music market grew 4.2% in 2016.