Sunday is the one day we collectively press pause on the Demon Drop of insanity and take a deep breather. Whether by bacon-centric breakfast, bowls, mimosas or lazy morning sex, most of us dedicate Sunday mornings to chasing down our second-gear indulgences. As it should be.
For me, in addition to the aforementioned delights, I revel in my ability to ignore the music headlines of the day for one light cycle. Oh, Mick Jagger wrote a book that we’ll never get to read? Fuck you for writing an article about it. Maynard’s recording Tool vocals you guys! But we’re not seeing a new record for another fifteen years. Shut up.
So here’s what I’m reading today – what’s worth reading, that is. Interesting links to take our minds off the world collapsing and music culture being hijacked by hyenas and hacky jackals. Not to mention the tragic Swedish incident from yesterday.
And now for some not-at-all-music* news…
- A bunch of untranslatable words from other cultures/languages. Like “cualacino,” the mark a cold glass leaves behind on a table (Italian), or “komorebi,” sunlight filtering through the leaves (Japanese).
- Donald Glover is Simba in the Lion King live-action remake, with Jon Favreau directing.
- How many ants and aardvarks do you weigh? Measure your weight in various other species.
- Here’s how food looks before it’s harvested.
- What’s your favorite curse word? Here’s a regional map of swearing preferences for various words.
- Hubble Space Telescope’s most amazing images and the totally true stories behind them. “There are actually no eagles present in this Nebula.”
- Speaking of space, wanna explore nearby star systems in 3D? Have at it.
- Arnold and Nickelback threw mutual shade, then simmered. Oh, internet. You’re getting soft on us.
- Comedian Ralphie May’s ex-wife did a full stand-up routine about how much she hates him, an called it Limeade. Damn.
- RIP George “The Animal” Steele.
- RIP Clyde Stubblefield, James Brown’s drummer.
- Realistic versions of cartoon characters.
- Owls with no feathers look stupid as hell. I would fuck a featherless owl right up. With feathers though? Different story. #knowyourlimits
- A lifelike David Bowie dog hybrid model of the Diamond Dogs image exists, and it’s creepy as hell.
- Protesters have dug a trench in front of a bank financing the DAPL, and laid their own pipeline.
- Admit it. This heartless bastard is unfit to serve.
*two stories are peripherally music related. Suck it.
Lastly, I’m putting together a weekly Antiquiet newsletter, covering the most immersive stories, recapping the latest AQ podcast and my own custom musical + existential + cultural ranting. If you’d like a weekly dose of music recommendations, oral reviews, custom playlists, tasteful nudes, rock n roll haikus and more, let me know in the comments or right here. Recommendations welcome. Signups coming soon.