Halfway through the week, and I’m finding myself wondering who the hell listens to Zane Lowe. When was the last time you heard a song on the radio that blew you away, or the last time you discovered a new artist on the FM dial? How is this cat such a celebrity?
Meanwhile, Father John Misty is taking aim at “hacks, homophobes and hipsters” in his new song, there’s new Fleet Foxes on the way, and we’ve got a baker’s dozen news stories worth checking out today.
- Bad Brains frontman H.R. needs brain surgery for a neurobiological disorder.
- Spotify has released The Refugee Playlist, a 20-track mix from artists born outside the U.S. who left in search of a new home. Naturally, some are hugely against the idea.
- Need to blow off some steam? Blow a trumpet in Donald Trump’s face – it’s happened over 453 million times now.
- A new Neil Young tune gets an animated video, and this one is worth watching.
- Bandcamp is standing with immigrants and basic human values by donating all Friday proceeds to the ACLU, “who are working tirelessly to combat these discriminatory and unconstitutional actions.”
- Father John Misty is back with another new one, Ballad of a Dying Man.
- The new Body Count record will include Randy Blythe and Dave Mustaine, and this record might just be a monster.
- Radio stations in several states have been hacked, playing “Fuck Donald Trump” over and over.
- We’ll get a new Mastodon record this year, as well as a solo record from Brent Hinds called Cold Dark Place. Look for it on Record Store Day.
- Here’s a lengthy breakdown of where your concert ticket money goes. Motherfuckers, hire someone to make an infographic next time.
- You’re never too good to keep practicing your instrument.
- Watch Leon Bridges’ soulful, unique 6/8-time take on the National Anthem.
- Listen to Paul McCartney’s unreleased collaboration with Elvis Costello via the Twenty Nine Fingers demo.