A gross new trend has risen in the music blog game: the “rumor” piece. So-and-so band is rumored to be going out on tour with this other band. Here are the rumored Record Store Day releases. What purpose does that serve anyone beyond cellophane hype with no materialization guarantee? It’s no better than the fake “leaks” artists put out to make their single releases seem more edgy/worthwhile.
It’s mental masturbation. Fuck that noise. Here’s the real sex meat for your day:
- Kasabian covered Daft Punk, and that’s a solid boost to anyone’s Thursday morning.
- Artists around the world celebrated and spoke out in support of International Women’s Day yesterday.
- About that statue of the girl on Wall St….
- Against Me! released a hypnotic video for Haunting, Haunted, Haunts.
- BET has greenlit Street Dreams, a mini-series based on Nas’ life.
- Bill Murray is animated and sings in Paul Shaffer’s Happy Street video. Shaffer’s solo record hits on March 17th.
- Vinylised is a new crowdfunding-inspired service that aims to revolutionize the way indie labels press their records.
- Classic rock nostalgia keeps it firmly rooted in blockbuster films.
- All the times throughout American history that authorities tried to stop people from dancing.
- Amazon is getting into the music festival business.
- Sing to that pregnant belly if you don’t want the baby crying.
- Airbnb is now offering behind-the-scenes ‘music experiences’ in cities around the world. No word yet on free noise-cancelling headphones if you’re stuck in-studio with the people in the picture.
- A synth installation powered by human blood uses blood-filled batteries to generate an electrical current. Creepy video included.
- Tom DeLonge really is a delusional dick.
- Michael Stipe and David Letterman are the same person now. Where the hell is Dave Catching?
- A bunch of old rockers, cheese-rockers and metal luminaries are performing on Comedy Central’s The Comedy Jam, premiering March 22nd.
- Songwriters have joined together in a letter to protest streaming rates from Apple, Spotify, Google, Pandora and Amazon.
- Canadian doctors think shoving weed up your ass is a good thing. There’s even an instructional video. For Christ’s sake, I hope a grinder was involved beforehand. Only you can prevent stem rape.
- Your alcoholic girlfriend is gonna love this news: research suggests a glass of red wine could be just as good for your body as an hour of exercise. Also, bullshit.
- Spoon have really made it, you guys. They have their own taco now.
- Goldfrapp have returned with the sweeping, synth-laced Ocean from their upcoming new album.
Keep up with new music on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify, updated damn near every day.
Inside scoop? Criticism? Tasteful nudes? Send ’em over.