Another day, another staggering avalanche of fuckery from the treasonous plankton running our country as pre-existing conditions are eliminated from the new GOP health proposal. But how bout that Outside Lands lineup?
Music is our escape from the unrelenting daily grind of bad news, the silver lining on the methane cloud choking out all sense of reason. Except this day is special in its own sad rock n’ roll way: Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley both died on April 5, 23 and 15 years ago, respectively.
- An oral history of disco from some of the most prominent offenders, with great stories from Donna summer to Gloria Gaynor to Giorgio Moroder to Nile Rodgers.
- The lineup for Outside Lands is unbelievably badass, with QOTSA, Gorillaz, Lorde, Metallica, The Who, A Tribe Called Quest… jesus, it just goes on and on.
- 68 frontman Josh Scogin delivered a Spotify mix of artists he listened to when making their upcoming new album.
- Borther Ali returns with new song/video for Own Life (What Hearts are For).
- Julian Casablancas of the Strokes lends vocals to the new Exhibition song.
- Gorillaz are bringing their house to you. No, really. A partnership with Sonos will bring their imaginary house to life in Brooklyn, Berlin and Amsterdam.
- FedEx wants you to create a soundtrack for your packages using a tracking number. What?
- Father John Misty and his ungodly fucking mustache took it to a new level on German TV last night.
- Spotify leaps backward, instituting a two-week paywall for certain albums in an obvious label-handjob move.
- If you were born in the 90s, you might not even know that Alice In Chains used to have a different singer. And he was awesome. And he died in a very sad way. Here are ten standout performances from Layne Staley.
- Zombie obsessions – and preventative measures against them – have been around since roughly the 11th century.
- Minecraft art has taken on a life of its own.
- Listen to Lorde’s demo for Green Light, recorded on her phone.
- You can stream Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga’s set from Coachella on YouTube next weekend.
- Josh Homme had surgery on his hand yesterday?
- The xx have shared a short film about their special ‘Night + Day’ residency in London.
- Tupac is opening a NYC restaurant? What? The cafe is based on his own sketches and ideas.
- Marty McFly’s got nothin’ on this jukebox from the 1890s.
- Louis C.K. accurately calls Trump a “lying sack of shit,” and holy christ is his Netflix special amazing. Watch it right now.
- Invader Zim is returning to TV for a movie. Gir will definitely be on board.
disgusting soulless underbelly of pop cultureKardashian and Pepsi co-opted the most potently necessary protest movement in the last 50 years and made it a self-serving teddy bear experience. Go figure.
Keep up with new music on the Firecloud’s Fresh Blood playlist on Spotify, updated damn near every day.
Story ideas? Gripes? Send ’em over.